The first step in having beautiful heirloom portraits created for your family is to select which type of session you would like.If you are not sure or you just want to learn more you are welcome to either call us at 403.281.8429 or book a complimentary design session. This is an opportunity to get to know each other and whether we are a good fit for each other. Each Limited Edition Portrait Experience at The Art of a Child is available for a set period of time and sessions are limited to one per day Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays at either 10:30 am, 1:30 pm or 3:30 pm. Bookings are made on a first come basis. Since these sessions fill up quickly, it is highly recommended you get on the wait list if the session you want is not currently being offered. Those on our wait list will be notified before anyone else!
Once you book the day and time of your session, you will receive your invoice. Payment in full secures your booking. Sessions will be released if payment is not completed within 48 hours of booking so be sure to watch your email or contact us if necessary.
* Book your session when you and/or your child will be most alert and cooperative, taking into consideration naptimes.
* Ensure your child has eaten before arriving. Sessions are up to 90 minutes in length which includes time to change in and out of costumes. You may want to have snacks ready for the completion of the session and perhaps something special for being good.
* Make sure your child's face, hands & feet are clean, especially the corners of the eyes and mouth. Extra retouching time is necessary when this little detail is missed.
* Remove any nail polish, clean and trim nails and cuticles.
*Moisturize lips and skin for several days prior to the session, especially in our cold, dry winters. Dry lips are very difficult to retouch.
*Ensure your child's hair is styled, not fly away (typically best washed a day or two prior but you know your child's hair best). Having to comb a youngsters hair prior to the session can often result in tears and less cooperation.
* Bring your child's security toy or blanket if they have one. Shelley has years of experience with young children and will work with them to either include these items or to ease them out of the images.
* Tell your child they are coming to play with Miss Shelley in the set of your choice. Let them know we will be taking pictures while they play.
* Allow Shelley to work with your child. She will let you know where to sit & if she needs your help. Do NOT prompt your child to smile or look at Shelley!
* Some children take a few minutes to warm up so letting us know their favourite song or engaging game (peek a boo) may be helpful. Once the children enter the set, they forget about their apprehension and are easy to guide into beautiful, natural poses for the magical images you see in our galleries.
What if My Someone is Sick When Our Day Arrives
We want to ensure your child has a fabulous time and you get amazing photographs so it is important that everyone is healthy & comfortable. Should you or your child become ill, please let us know as soon as possible. Due to the extremely limited number of sessions for these events, we are unable to provide refunds. We will provide you with a credit towards the next session of your choice if notified at least 3 hours prior to your session.
Parking & Logistics
Parking is available for two cars in front of the garage doors. If you will need additional parking please let us know.
Estimating drive time in the city can be challenging so plan ahead and check on construction along your route.
We want your children to have time to warm up to Shelley and enjoy their session. Please be on time to ensure your child has fun and we create the best images possible.